Listening Comprehension Cloze Exercises & Keys
We believe listening comprehension cloze exercises are very useful. Below you have five recorded narratives associated with the following timeless themes:
- Moral values today, in particular honesty in government affairs, in the media, and in our personal or professional relations
- The problem of water especially drinking water worldwide and the idea of designing a project
- The gullibility of the public who will believe almost anything conveyed by the media
- Renewable energies such as solar power
- The act of accomplishing a feat, i.e. something seemingly impossible.
Five stories that lead to interesting discussions
- Honesty is the Best Policy tells a story that makes us reflect on the values of our modern society.
- When the Iceberg Arrives is an excellent introduction to topics such as presenting a project , the protection of natural resources or the consequences of global warming .
- The End of the World is Near deals with Orson Welles’ hoax in 1938 when he made the US public believe Martians had invaded the country.
- The Little Car That Could is a good introduction to solar power through the first solar-powered car
- Lindbergh tells the story of his solo flight across the Atlantic and opens the debate about accomplishing feats.
Five stories that will review 150 basic structures
- Honesty is the Best Policy is written in the simple present and simple past tenses.
- When the Iceberg Arrives demonstrates present and future tenses and the verb "to have to".
- The End of the World is Near uses the simple and continuous past tenses plus the pluperfect.
- The Little Car That Could provides work with numbers, comparisons and prepositions
- Lindbergh gives many examples of the use of the gerund.
150 important language structures
In fact if students memorize these five narratives, they will have learned more than 150 important language structures that will help them when conversing with others or when taking exams.
Honesty is Still the Best Policy
Recordings of the other texts
- Concerning the other four texts, you will find below the recordings with continuous readings and listen-and-repeat versions below. You can download them directly.
- The written materials (cloze exercises, keys, debate questions, and even assignments in MS Word) are to be found in the packs that we sell at the [store->http://www.qualitytime-esl.com/store] for a modest fee. These materials are part of the 1,500 files found in "Qualitytime-ESL: The Digital Resource Book". It is available either as a download for €14.99 or on a DVD - with more audio and even video films for €29.99. Files are in MS Word, MP3 and PDF and can be customized.
- The files in the downloadable version or on the DVD are in MS Word, so you can personalize these worksheets very easily, adding translations, information, comments, etc.
- We recommend that students work on the QualityTime-ESL podcasts with oral drills at the same time. You can download these podcasts free of charge on this website or on iTunes.
The Four Other Recordings For You To Listen To
To download the recordings below, which are in mp3, just click on the right button of the mouse and choose: "Save to hard drive".
"When the Iceberg Arrives": Present and Future Tenses & the Verb "Have to"
"When the Iceberg Arrives" Continuous recording
"When the Iceberg Arrives" Listen & Repeat recording
"The End of the World": Simple and Continuous Past plus Pluperfect
"The End of the World Part 1" Continuous recording
"The End of the World Part 1" Listen & Repeat recording
"The End of the World Part 2" Continuous recording
"The End of the World Part 2" Listen & Repeat recording
"The Little Car That Could": Numbers in a text, comparisons & prepositions
"The Little Car That Could" Continuous recording
"The Little Car That Could" Listen & Repeat recording
"Lindbergh" Part 1 Continuous recording
"Lindbergh" Part 1 Listen & Repeat recording
"Lindbergh" Part 2 Continuous recording
"Lindbergh" Part 2 Listen & Repeat recording
Subtitled videos of songs
And we suggest you should visit our song pages—the first one is called subtitled videos of songs with cloze exercises. There are several other pages with subtitled songs for listening comprehension and sing along in class. One is devoted to the Beatles and another to ABBA.
Accompanying written materials
Accompanying written materials (exercises and keys) of these recordings are part of the 1,500 files found in "Qualitytime-ESL: The Digital Resource Book". It is available either as a download for €14.99 or on a DVD - with more audio and even amusing student films for €29.99. Files are in MS Word, MP3 and PDF and can be customized to suit your needs.
To purchase "The Qualitytime-ESL Digital Resource Book" just go to "Ordering the downloadable version or the DVDs (book and film)".)